One of the things about any sort of incident with Dominic is that the aftermath admin is ridiculous. I’ve written before about the difficulty about having specialists at 3 different hospitals – but this is where that really falls apart.
So, in the last month Dominic was quite ill with Vomiting Bug, cold / bronchiolitis on top of all the other stuff. This meant we missed appointments – namely the original MRI date at GOSH and his MLB at JR.
You can imagine the pain it is getting a bed in hospital at this time of year, when you ring up and say you can’t come there is almost a sigh of relief on the end of the phone… but it’s just postponing the problem. Re booking is a pain for everyone.
The MRI at GOSH was sorted within a week… the MLB at JR was not. There is a bed crisis everywhere, but JR is on black.
So, we go to GOSH first and they damage Dominic’s airways. Now we have this situation where I am refusing to sign anymore consent forms until the MLB is done but no one knows when it can be done… Doms next op is in just over 4 weeks, and you’ve got to lose 2 of those to Christmas.
So… out go all the emails and phone calls to the consultants secretaries. Please may I have:
- A new date
- Confirmation a paediatric ENT person will be present for the next intubation
- The photos of Dominic’s airways from his last MLB
Along with photos of the letter from the anaesthetist and a detailed description of what happened – using all the correct medical terms in all the right places 😂
And now… we wait and see what happens next! We await responses from 3 separate hospitals and 5 consultants, then consolidate all the responses and let everyone know what’s going on.
I’d really like my own secretary… life would be so much easier!